Frugal Dog Care Tips
There is a special bond between dogs and their owners. We all want the best for our four-legged family members. However, canine care can get pricey. Here are some frugal dog care tips to help! Fortunately, there are ways to be frugal while taking fabulous care of Fido! From buying a pup, to preventive care, feeding, play and doggie comforts. We have some dog-gone good tips to help you save while you care for your pooch.
Adopt your Dog
- Adopt a dog instead of buying one. In a shelter, you usually can get a proud pooch for about $100 whereas when if you buy one, you can spend $500 to over $1,000 depending on the breed.
- Dogs from shelters usually have all necessary shots and are already spayed or neutered.
- Consider a mutt. Mutts tend to live longer and have less health problems than purebreds who are prone to genetic diseases. A healthier dog means less expensive vet bills.
Save on Vet Bills by Maintaining Your Pet’s Health
- Make sure you take your dog to all of their well visits at the vet to take care of any health issues before they become too severe. Well visits are much less expensive than an emergency appointment if your dog becomes ill.
- Brush your dog’s teeth regularly to prevent gum disease and tooth decay which can also lead to expensive vet bills.
- Make sure you keep up with your dog’s flea treatments and heartworm. There is no need to buy the expensive brands with these. If you check the labels the less-expensive generics will have the same active ingredients and work just as well.
- Make sure you give your dog plenty of walks and exercise to prevent obesity and keep his muscles strong.
- Keep a little saving account or even a little piggy bank on the side, just in case your dog ever needs emergency care. This is a good alternative to pet health insurance which can be pricey and you never know if you’ll get your return on investment.
- Save money and groom your dog at home. Brush his fur regularly and trim his nails. Not only will it save you money, but your dog will love the bonding time with you.
- A great way to save on dog food is to buy it in bulk. Always check out the best deals that are advertised by searching your favorite brand here.
- Don’t over-feed your dog. Give him the recommended amount of food for his breed, weight and activity level.
- Break large dog biscuits in half to double the treats.
Play and Comfort
- If you have stuffed animals or toy balls around your home that maybe your kids don’t play with anymore, give them to Fido, he will surely enjoy them.
- For comfort, there is no need to buy an expensive “dog bed” old blankets or comforters will do just fine. If you don’t have any old blankets, go to your local thrift store or a garage sale to find some old blankets for your dog to cozy up in! She will love them just as much as expensive dog beds and you won’t break the bank.
By using just a few, or all of these Frugal Dog Care Tips, you will have a happy healthy dog without going broke. Happy tails!
You can always check out the frugal online shopping deals we have found for you along with other great saving tools!