Frugal Uses For Baking Soda
Baking soda is wonderful to have on hand because of the many handy ways it can be used around the house. You can substitute one box of baking soda, for several individual household cleaners and beauty products, which can save you a great deal of cash. In this economy, we can all do well with saving a little cash right? Some of the many frugal uses for baking soda are: multi-surface cleaner, deodorant, teeth whitener, air freshener, foot powder, carpet freshener, jewelry cleaner, even use it to unclog a drain!! Try some, or all of these uses in your home. If you are pleased with the results, continue using baking soda instead of the individual products, and watch your savings grow!!
- The cost of multi-surface and specialized cleaners can really add up! Instead of buying individual kitchen cleaner, bathroom cleaner, tile floor cleaner, hardwood floor cleaner, and toilet cleaner, just use baking soda and water on all of these things to keep your home sparkling and clean. Wet a rag with water and lemon juice, sprinkle on some baking soda and watch all of your kitchen and bathroom surfaces come up sparkling. For your toilets, sprinkle the bowl with baking soda and white vinegar, wait 30 minutes and scrub for a fresh clean toilet! You can even mix a solution of ½ cup baking soda with a bucket of warm water to clean all of your hard floors, add in a bit of white vinegar for a great hard wood floor cleaner!
- Hopefully, this don’t happen often will all the deals we post on deodorant…but if it does! Nothing is worse than getting ready to go out and there is no deodorant left! Rub some baking soda under your arms to stay smelling fresh!!
- If you want to whiten your teeth, but don’t want to buy an expensive whitening kit, mix a little baking soda into your tooth paste for a beautiful white smile!
- Baking soda is a wonderful air freshener! Sprinkle baking soda in the trash to keep smells at bay. If you are out of foot powder, substitute with baking soda! If you find yourself a little short and have to buy cheap cat litter, you can also sprinkle that with baking soda to neutralize odors! Another great tip–for fresh carpets sprinkle on some baking soda, let sit for 15 minutes, and vacuum.
- If your jewelry is dull and you have no jewelry cleaner on hand, try a little baking soda and water. Add just enough water to make a paste with the baking soda, then use a small toothbrush or a cloth to polish your jewelry!
Clean Your Drains
- If you have a tough clog in the drain, instead of running to get the store-bought drain cleaner, pour ½ cup baking soda down the drain, followed by 1 cup white vinegar, and a pot of boiling water.
- Use Baking Soda to clean rust off of tools, metal & more. Just add water and vinegar, let it soak and it should come out rust free!
- Use Baking Soda and Borax (one tablespoon each) and mix it together for homemade dishwasher detergent. Run your dishwasher as usual, this is a great thrifty tip to save money! Let them blast away the food and germs. *Borax is actually used as an ingredient in lot of commercial detergents.
- Did you know that Baking Soda cures heartburn? Yes it does….just add 1/2 tsp to a cup of water and your heartburn will be gone like immediately!
- Finally, if you’ve run out of your favorite facial cleanser, baking soda makes a wonderful exfoliator! Mix baking soda with a bit of water to make a paste and gently exfoliate!
What thrifty tips do you have to save money by using baking soda?
With so many wonderful uses, baking soda can help you save a great deal of money when you substitute it for individual household and beauty products. Baking soda goes a long way for its cost. You are sure to happy with the results!
Want more Frugal Living Tips? Find them here! You can also check out our Saving Tools Section for more ways to save as well!
Be sure to check out our latest Freebies and Printable Coupons they are updated daily! If you are an Online Shopper we have Online Coupon Codes for you too! Are you a Simplee Thrifty Facebook Fan? If not join your fellow Simplee Thrifty couponers, maximize your savings together and never miss out on a deal!