Road Trip Tips | 12 Ways to Save Money on Gas
Road Trip Tips | Save Money on Gas
12 Ways to Save Money on Gas
It might seem crazy that some of us are still trying to save money on gas, considering how outrageously priced it is! But, it’s important to pinch pennies whenever possible, right?
Heading cross-country, but not wanting to spend an arm and a leg on fuel? Us, too! Here are some tips that have helped us save money on gas on our road trips. Sign up for a Shop Your Way Rewards Member and get gas rewards for something you already do…..shop!!
1. Pack lightly. The more weight in the vehicle, the less mileage you’re going to get in before you have to fill up again.
2. Drive during off-peak times. Getting stuck in traffic is going to suck your gas mileage right down. Avoid this by traveling during times that the roads will be less crowded. In some cities, the roads are always crowded – but there are always times where they’re not as crowded (like the middle of the night).
3. Carpool. If it’s just you and your significant other, why not do a double-date vacation and invite another couple? You can split the costs of pretty much everything, which will save you a lot of money!
4. Take alternative transportation. Once you arrive, if you’re in a big city, consider taking the subway or bus. I got a weekend pass for $6 one time, which saved me about $30 in gas considering how much moving around I ended up doing!
5. Get a checkup, and an oil change. Take your car to the shop and have them inflate and rotate your tires, do an oil change, and even a tune-up if you’re due. Your car will use less gas when it is well-maintained. be sure and check Groupon, Amazon Local and LivingSocial in your area.
6. Stop at Costco, Sams Club or Kmart. If you have a Costco membership, map out where locations are on your trip. Fueling up at Costco (or any wholesale club) is going to save you a few bucks each time. A few bucks adds up fast when you have to fill up several times on your trip! Save $0.30 per gallon when you spend $50 or more at Kmart. Sign up for FREE – Shop Your Way Rewards Member
7. Roll up the windows. I always thought that using the air conditioning would take more gas, but your vehicle is actually more fuel-efficient when you roll the windows up on the highway. However, don’t use the air on MAX, because it actually can decrease your gas mileage. Open windows create drag, which uses more gasoline.
8. Go the speed limit. While it’s tempting to do 80MPH so you can arrive on time, not only will it use more gas – you could get a ticket (which will cost you a lot of money) if you speed. Staying close to the speed limit will keep your car using less gas, which saves you money in the long run.
9. Use cruise control. Driving at a consistent speed will improve your fuel efficiency. The best way to do this is to use cruise! The exception to this rule is when you’re on a steep hill, or on slippery surfaces from rain or ice.
10. Use apps. If you don’t have a Costco membership, or if there isn’t one near you on your vacation route, use your Smart Phone to pull up apps like Gas Buddy. Apps like these help you find the cheapest gas in the area you’re in.
11. Use rewards cards. If you have a credit card that offers rewards or fuel points, be sure to use it on your trip! I’ve earned $50 in one trip before by using my rewards cards.
12. Fuel up in the right state. While traveling from Arizona to California, the gas prices jumped from $3.54 (right before CA), to $4.49 (right after we hit the border). That’s a HUGE difference, so pay attention when you’re getting ready to cross state lines. Is it better to fuel up in the state you’re in? Possibly!
Sign up for Simplee Thrifty’s Newsletter and get the best deals everyday all year long!! Sign Up Here!
Thanks for sharing this on Pinterest, Facebook,
your blog, etc. by using the buttons below.
and link back to SimpleeThrifty.
to share with your fellow readers by
submitting it here.
Be sure to check out our latest Freebies and Printable Coupons they are updated daily! If you are an Online Shopper we have Online Coupon Codes for you too! Are you a Simplee Thrifty Facebook Fan? If not join your fellow Simplee Thrifty couponers, maximize your savings together and never miss out on a deal!